It’s often difficult to decide which path to take when considering how best to provide for your aging loved ones. The topic of where one wants to live out the senior years of their lives is rarely discussed over family dinners. How does an adult child best help their parent(s) determine what’s best when they are unable to physically care for themselves. When one knows the pros and cons of both home care and nursing homes, the decisions process can be made a bit easier.
Home Care – receiving services in the home is a more private options that allows your loved one to remain in their own home. This may be better for those with Alzheimer’s or dementia because it is not a change in their familiar home environment. This is usually the first choice for most families, but here are both sides of the coin to think about:
- In-home care can be more often less expensive than care out of the home
- Its comfortable & familiar
- Home care allows for more of a one-on-one relationship with the caregiver
- The senior can remain more independent in their home instead of giving others charge over basic tasks and needs
- Homes may not be as secure as medical facilities
- If the care needs are skilled, i.e. nursing or other direct medical care, many homecare providers are unable to provide such services, or insurances may only cover such on an intermittent basis
Nursing Homes – At some point, many families may find that they have to consider a nursing home for a variety of reasons. Here are things to consider:
- For seniors with Alzheimer’s or dementia, nursing homes are generally secure, which may be a consideration for those who wander
- Nursing homes are typically staffed with a variety of medical professionals
- Many seniors may end up feeling “old” as other medical personnel are performing the many tasks the senior may still be able to do independently
- The higher quality nursing homes can be very costly
- Very few nursing homes ever really feel like “home”
Navigating this path with those we love is not always easy. Taking all of the important factors, good and bad into consideration will help make reaching the best decision a bit easier.